RE: restoring from backup when db is open

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Joseph.Armstrong-Champ@xxxxxxxxx>, "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:47:50 -0400

It is not possible to get a guaranteed clean image unless the (non-RMAN)
"backup" was made with the relevant tablespaces in backup mode while the
underlying files or raw bits were copied somewhere else AND you have the
string of redologs spanning from the start of the copy through the "end
backup" command for each relevant tablespace.

But if it is truly your last option there are ways to force it open. If you
are really lucky (or there simply was no activity - so that while the files
are marked fuzzy there actually are no fractured blocks on the image copy
that require the full block redo record that takes place in backup mode for
a tablespace) you might actually have all your data.

Once open you export out what you can. If you get block corruption errors,
then you read the rest out allowing corrupt blocks to be ignored and
understand that your results are not complete and perhaps are not
consistent.

If you're asking if it is possible, this is probably beyond the scope of
figuring it out on your own in real time, for a production recovery no less.
If I were you, I'd contact the folks at www.ora600.be. I think Tim Gorman
might the current USA rep.

Oracle might also have a program for a fee. Plan on it being expensive,
especially if you need it fast. Also make sure you understand even they
might not be able to get back everything, because everything might not be
there to be gotten from a faulty backup.

If I'm leaving out someone else who does this professionally, my apologies.
I used to do this stuff for my customers, but I have not had a customer
since about 1991 that got in this trouble before I made sure they had
recovery set up correctly.

mwf