restoring controlfile from a backupset after losing spfile and catalog

  • From: hrishy <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:24:21 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

Yesterday i lost the catalog and there were not controlfile autobackups and
also no dbid just a backupset lying on the disk.

I did vaguely remember from the Oracle Press book by Robert Freeman which asked
me to use the sys.dbms_backup_restore package to restore the controlfile.

But i still searched and came across the following metalink Note:403883.1

which tells me how to restore a controlfile from backupset using a simple
command like

restore controlfile from '/mnt/RMAN_DISK_BACKUP/BKPDB08/c-xxx-xxx-xx';

and the controlfile was restored my question in such a sceanrio whats the use
of the package sys.dbms_backup_restore ?

(my only guess is sys.dbms_backup_restore can restore from a tape too)

Any other ideas did my favourite backup and recovery book miss this or i missed
it in the book ?

regards
Hrishy