Re: replace or translate?

  • From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:03:14 -0600

I ran a number of tests on 125K rows with three nested REPLACE calls
vs. a simple TRANSLATE. On my box, the translate is not only cleaner
to code, but edged out the REPLACE by a second every time. 'Course if
I were replacing some complex string, I wouldn't even know where to
being if I were forced to use TRANSLATE; I'd turn to REPLACE.

- bill c.

--
bill coulam
bcoulam@xxxxxxxxx