Re: removing/masking sensitive data

  • From: Phil Singer <psinger1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:41:03 -0500

Doug Gernaat wrote:
if your task was to remove/mask sensitive data such
as ssn/ccard numbers and those numbers are in multiple
tables throughout your database, where would you start?

if you are an oracle tool, what's your name?
is an attempt to create a manual script reasonable?

I recently had the opportunity (successfully at that) to create such a manual script. I don't think that a 3rd party tool could have worked. Reason is that in _some_ of the tables, the ssn was in a column called 'data' iff a column called 'name' was 'xyz' and there was numeric data in cols 1 - 9 (or similar lack of logic).

If your data model is sane, then a tool might work, but an hour or two of clever work with dba_tab_columns ought to produce a script you can use.