RE: querying x$ tables can cause DB to hang?

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:33:52 -0400

Do you believe everything that Oracle support says?

The x$ tables are protected by latches.  If you were to set up a process
that constantly queried some of the more latch intensive views you could
create a performance problem.  A query here and there should not be an
issue.  Constant querying is however a slightly different issue.  The
total load on your database is obviously a factor.  If your database
already has a latching problem then adding a task that itself is latch
intensive is probably not a wise idea.  But I have yet to see where an
occasional query on x$ information does much harm.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --