Re: posgres-l ?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 17:57:41 -0400

On 3/16/23 12:09, kyle Hailey wrote:

Any good Postgres email list like Oracle-l?
I just inherited a Postgres system and am having a number of questions.

PS if anyone is up for consulting on Postgres , I might be able to allocate some budget.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

PostgreSQL community has several mailing lists. The list manager is here:

https://lists.postgresql.org/manage/

My current projects do not include Postgres so I have unsubscribed. Two lists, "hackers" and "performance" are on the similar level as oracle-l.  Admin and general lists can be good at times but are generally boring.

All of those lists are controlled and moderated by some kind of steering committee which enforces the "community spirit". The lists are chock full of novices which sometimes ask elementary questions. However, be warned: the lists are expressly hostile to suggestions which would make PgSQL more similar to Oracle. Tom Lane and David Johnston are resident PostgreSQL gurus on the list . They also write the software code so they know what they're talking about.

Having said that, PostgreSQL is open source, so things are not as tidy as in the world of Oracle. The information is sometimes hard to come by. Lists are much more hectic and disorderly than oracle-l. Your experience with Oracle will not get you any respect, just the contrary. An example comes to mind when Postgres lister told off Jeff Holt and "explained" him "the Postgres way" in an extremely denigrating fashion.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant