phantom dblink

  • From: Mike Hennesy <orcl9ps8dba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:47:07 -0700 (PDT)

I routinely refresh my DEV instance with a backup of my PROD instance. After I
test recovering PROD on the dev machine I create a new control file and rename
the instance to DEV with the following:

CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "DEV" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG

Now for the strange part.  In DEV there is NOT a dblink for PROD but the query

select * from APP_TABLE@PROD ;

returns rows. I would expect a ORA-02019 error. The returned rows are actually
coming from the DEV instance and not PROD.

This isn't the end of the world for me by no means. The instance will be
refreshed over the weekend and I told the programmers there isn't a dblink to
PROD and to not try. I just thought this was a strange behavior and was
wondering if anyone else had come across it.

8.1.7.3

Thanks - Mike