RE: parallel environments

  • From: "Matthew Parker" <dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oralrnr@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 23:43:08 -0700

In some cases it is not cutting corners it has some reality in what is the
organization capable of.

What organization actually has a full test suite of SW to push the
application through all aspects of utilization and code pathways at
multi-fold of the projected or current utilization. If you do not, then why
have a set of test equipment that matches production? I have seen very few
except the largest organizations having any test suites closely representing
their actual production, even with replay. Replay of course doesn't help in
delivery and testing of new designs. In most cases for organizations test/QA
is really only used for functional based testing.

I have worked at a variety of clients where there is a mismatch between
production and test and we spend time with some analysis and testing mapping
performance between the two so we can perform accurate capacity projections.

I have normally only seen small companies mix production and test within the
same environment. Many rules relative to compliance require separation of
the environments, especially for larger companies. There are also rules
relative to having production data within the realm of DEV and QA and
sometimes it is easier to leave it within the production realm which already
has tight controls on it.

I have seen test environments for DBAs and SAs in production (recovery
testing, complex data model retrofits, etc). It is much easier to get
management to buy another node for a RAC cluster since Oracle itself sells
RAC based off of not having equipment just sitting around as a failover
system and in some cases you press that extra node into service for workload
spikes, so it is performing double duty.