Re: [oracle-l] rman catalog considerations

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:04:22 -0700

In this ³mutual supporting² configuration,you don¹t need additional
instances just to house the ³recovery catalog² database?  Your idea to house
them inside the ³business² instances is quite viable, as the RMAN ³recovery
catalog² is a very low-usage, low-traffic database application.
-----

May I ask a quick question:  why do you need to have a "recovery catalog"
database at all?

Running RMAN in "nocatalog" mode has exactly the same functionality as
running it with a "recovery catalog" database tacked on.  Reasons for using
a ³recovery catalog² database instead of NOCATALOG:

* storing information for periods of time longer than
CONTROLFILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME
> * retaining information about READ ONLY tablespaces archived for months or
> years
* storing information across RESETLOGS
> * to allow recovery across RESETLOGS
* centralizing RMAN information from two or more ³target² databases
> * redundant backup of information stored in the controlfile

NOCATALOG isn¹t as risky as one might think.  It is easy and very natural to
be super-paranoid about controlfile backups ? flying NOCATALOG airlines just
gives another reason.  I¹ve always taken controlfile backups redundantly
during backups (one copy to disk as well as tape), and 9i¹s CONFIGURE
CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP just makes it easier.

I think most people assume that a ³recovery catalog² is required or even a
strongly recommended part of RMAN.  In reality, it is just an option that is
available for very specific reasons.  And, like many such options, it comes
at a cost in extra complexity:

* now there is another database to manage and backup
* upgrades from one version of RDBMS to another requires upgrade of the
corresponding ³recovery catalog² repository

If you don¹t intend to store recovery information for very long (i.e. Less
than 30 days), then you should really consider NOCATALOG.

Just my $0.02  (let the stone-throwing begin)...