Re: oracle-l Digest V4 #41:Hibernate and Oracle

  • From: "Giovanni Cuccu" <giovanni.cuccu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:27:28 +0100

ciao Alberto,
 as a Java/Oracle developer I agree that your advice about "moving"
Hibernate is the correct one. Them main problem with hibernate is that
1)it generates the sql automatically.
2)it is not database specific
While sql generation could be useful for simple inserts and delete it
can lead to a complete disaster in a complex application where there
is a complex graph of objects which is automatically loaded (if
hibernate is configured to do so as usually happens in web
applications).
My advice is to identify the "worst" self generated sql and to replace
it with hands written one (Hibernate v3 lets you write and execute
your sql).
If you have a chance to rewrite i suggest you the use of ibatis
instead of hibernate at least in the critical modules. If your project
is using spring as a general java framework, support for ibatis dao is
already included.
Hope it hels,
   Giovanni

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 21:08:05 +0100
From: "Alberto Dell'Era" <alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Hibernate and Oracle

Dear all,

I've been asked to help "tuning" an Hibernate+Oracle application.

After a first glance at the application, I feel that the best tuning
advice would be

mv Hibernate /dev/null

but - does anyone know about a good paper about how to optimize
Hibernate interacting with Oracle - or have any advice/experience to share ?

We can modify the application at will, so "tuning" is not restricted to
playing with indexes/instance parameters - it could mean also
an "application rewrite".

Thanks-In-Advance
Alberto

--
Alberto Dell'Era
"Per aspera ad astra"

"You don't know the power of dark side" - Darth Vader