Re: oracle patches

  • From: Masha Dubov <gurenich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dedba@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 11:19:45 -0500

Dear all, what is your opinion, based on the research, must we apply
(CVE-2015-4852 ) weblogic patch? Sounds serious to me...

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 7:59 PM, De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, but it's unsolvable apparently. This blog explains what the issue is:

https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/apache_commons_statement_to_widespread

"...developers put too much trust in Java Object Serialization. Some even
de-serialize objects pre-authentication..."

"...there is no easy fix and applications need to revisit their
client-server protocols and overall architecture..."

and above all:

"...However, to be clear: this is not the only known and especially not
unknown useable gadget. So replacing your installations with a hardened
version of Apache Commons Collections will not make your application resist
this vulnerability.."

Boils down to sloppy programming involving third-party supplied data. A
bit like SQL injection via web interfaces...

Cheers,
Tony

On 11/11/15 23:10, Patrice sur GMail wrote:

got an e-mail from Oracle last night, there's an emergency (non-quarterly
patch) out for WebLogic now

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alert-cve-2015-4852-2763333.html
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alert-cve-2015-4852-2763333.html>

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Niall Litchfield <
niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hadn't spotted that my dialog earlier with Howard was off list - I
believe we resolved the issue successfully.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 4:49 PM, MacGregor, Ian A. <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Did you check under $ORACLE_Home/ cfgtooLlogs/opatch? There you
should find a log of the changes made to the Oracle software. Also there
sould be logs unser $ORACLE_BASE/cfgtoollogs/catbundle which detail the
changes made to database objects. The logs I have, indicate the
database script generated only makes changes to the java virtual machine.
This assumes you had applied the database component of the July PSU.
Perhaps, if you don't have OVJM installed, it would do nothing.