RE: oracle can ignore hints

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:07:42 -0500

The response from Oracle is very interesting if you read it carefully and
then think about how the optimizer works and how Oracle treats invalid
hints.

Also, remember that Oracle is the primary source of many of the myths about
how Oracle works.  I do not know how many white papers I have read that had
serious errors in them.

Based on experience for versions 7 - 8 the CBO will do as it is told via a
syntactically valid hint if the join order and method allow do not
invalidate the hint.  If you provide an index hint to use an index into
table B and Oracle chooses to drive on table B then the hint is unusable.
Also the CBO seems to have the ability at least in the never versions to
determine that some access paths are not worth following so the CBO may
never look at a path where your hint is usable.

So did the CBO "override" your hint?  Or was it just unable to use it?  If
you provide the join order, the join method, and specific indexes to use you
can usually get the plan you want, but it is getting harder.  Between
version 8.1 and 9.0 somewhere around 8 to 12 underbar parameters had there
default changed from off to on.  These parameters cause the CBO to
internally rewrite many queries converting sub-queries into inline views and
such.  This kind of internal processing can invalidate your hint.

I have communicated with a couple of sites that ran into performance
problems with certain types of queries upon upgrading from 8.1 to 9+ and
setting these underbar parameters back to the version 8.1 setting seemed to
be supports favorite fix.

Maybe it is a point of view issue.

-- Mark --