Re: looking for book/articles on oracle physical IO outside the database

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:04:30 -0700

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> does anyone know any good books that explain what happens in the stack when
> oracle makes a physical IO (readv OS call) going down to the disk. There is
> a stack involved in getting to the SAN.

I found this article good for understanding the basics of the
storage as it relates to volumes:

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7454/1.html

Also, SAN for Dummies is good.
Hate the title, but is has good info:
http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Networks-Dummies-Christopher-Poelker/dp/0764524801

Neither of these explore the stack as you are referring to
it, but they do build a foundation for the basic architecture.

Jared Still