listener... which home?

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:26:10 -0300

hi guys,

 so, we have two homes in a server. One is /u01/app/asm, obviously this is
the ASM home. it's an 11g home as well. Then we have the
/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0 home which is the DB home. There is a single
DB in this server. The listener is running from /u01/app/asm/bin/tnslsnr....
which to me is odd. Is there any reason you can think of for this? (I
already asked the previous owner of this server and they replied it was "by
design"). I can see some benefits (like in theory you don't need to bring
down the listener for $OH patching... and you usually have the ASM home in
the latest patch/version...

  what cons do you find in this?

cheers
Alan.-