Re: linux scripting question

  • From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mwf@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:07:09 -0500

If you want historical tracking of this, cron this to run at a specific interval. Redirect the output to a file somewhere. Externally map the directory as an oracle directory and make the file an external table. Then create yourself history table and as the file updates kick off a proc in the db to load your history from the updated file. I'm actually working through a process like this right now to provide some trending data on disk utilization for our Exec VP's.

Mark W. Farnham wrote:

What I would do is ls –lR every day to a date named file and then diff any two days and pick off the rows and fields I wanted and net up the ins versus the outs with awk or perl.

Then if you want to drill in on more details about the changes, you’ve got them. If your arbitrary time granule is smaller than a day, then you’d need more frequent snaps, and of course this process dies by Xeno at some level of willingness to spend space for the data.

<http://www.orawin.info>