Re: kernel memory keeps increasing and running out of memory (Sun T4, Solaris 10)

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Eagle Fan <eagle.f@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

I used to browse the comp.os.solaris newsgroup. Just checked. It's still active
(less so than before though), and relatively spam-free. You can access it
through its web interface
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/comp.unix.solaris
Nowadays, there're many Solaris forums. But the few extremely knowledgeable
folks are still in the newsgroup.
But the problem should really be handled by the system admin. They should open
a ticket with Sun and get help identify the kernel memory leak. mdb has the
::findleaks command. To do that to the kernel, you may need to boot with debug
enabled. I don't think there's a way to manually release some kernel memory
unless a kernel module is unloaded (if it can). But first let's identify what
code leaks memory. If it's from a vendor's driver, show the leaking function to
the vendor.

Yong Huang