[oracle-l] Re: is this a failover - or ....

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:42:07 +0200

Markus,
You described an almost perfect failover, and far cheaper than RAC.

Actually, we set this up years ath the datacenter of a local government.
They had many applications, and appr. 18 oracle instances running.

Two HP servers, one storage. Half of the databases mounted form one server,
the other half from the other. In case of a failure, all non-critical apps
were stopped, and the critical ones were started from the remaining server.

I know of a dutch bank, that is setting up their HA systems in the way you
describe, thus saving from the horrendous costs of RAC. When you don't need
the scalability, and can afford a few minutes downtime, your're safe. They
call it PM/RAC, Poor Man's RAC. As a bank, they're always short of money,
that's why. :-)

There is at least one Single Point of Failure remaining: your storage
cabinet. No problem, but take care of proper procedures what to do if the
storage fails. You can mirror that to another storage cabinet (or SAN, NAS,
or whatever non-BAARF-banned configuration you can think of (see
www.baarf.com)) or consider using Data Guard, one of my favourites ;-).

Regards, Carel-Jan Engel

===
===