** identify overloaded file system - and balance the load

  • From: A Joshi <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:01:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

  For : OLTP database

Oracle version : 10G

OS : SunSolaris

 I am trying to identify file systems with heavy usage. So that I
can move the load out to file systems with less load. By moving
database files or creating new heavy usage database files to light load
file systems. I have sar reports. It has the devices. Next step for me
is to map to the file systems. Or is there a way/command to get the sar
to identify per file system instead of devices. I am also trying to use
statspack but that also goes to the level of files/ tablespaces. Some
tablespaces have files spread out over different file systems. This is
my approach. There are over 200 files in the database and very difficult to sum
them
up. Instead if there is something at unix level to say which file
system is overloaded and which is under loaded : that would help to
balance it.  Thanks for help. If someone has done similar work and has better
suggestions : please let me know. Thanks