Re: huge CPU load after UEK upgrade

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:08:34 -0400

Looks like another ACPI bug. Can you try booting the servers with NOACPI option?

On 8/12/21 2:40 AM, Laurentiu Oprea wrote:

Hello everyone,

I know this is more of a linux question but maybe someone had a similar issue.

I started to upgrade the kernel version from UEK3 to UEK4 on servers (rac 2/3 nodes) running OL6. I had no issue upgrading the kernel on virtual machines.

When I upgraded the first rac node located on physical hardware, after starting the oracle instances the cpu load went crazy, the whole system was far slower. For example the cpu load on the other rac nodes with UEK3 was 4/3/3/ while the upgraded node load was 107/104/77 with only half the instances started, this workload being created even if the instances had no significant workload (they were just started)

I observed that with the new kernel version when oracle instances start there is quite a big number of kworker processes. Perf top will show me as overhead
17.24% [kernel]  _raw_spin_lock
4.50% [kernel] acpi_os_write_port

Does anyone have any idea on what could be the issue?

THanks a lot.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant