Re: hosts file format

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 13:21:23 -0600

In addition to the other replies - in the past I have found that the
software that reads the host file can, and occasionally does, only
reference the last line.  Not everything uses 'bind', and custom or
hand-crafted code may not follow any official rules.

Depending on the implementation, therefore somehat OS dependent, the
assumption is: "IP-addr FQDN alternates" on one line.  I've been
horribly stung in some :Linux implementations (about 5 years ago) and
ports to Solaris when using multiple lines and/or putting simple
hostname before official FQDN.  Mosyt distros seem to be less picky now,
but ...

(No matter how confusing, I'm just glad it was created before the
invention of XML)

/Hans