help with xml

  • From: "Stephens, Chris" <chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:51:41 -0500

Can someone help me with the following:

I have a table:

CREATE TABLE "HTS"."HTS_XML2"

   (           "ID" NUMBER,

                "NAME" VARCHAR2(90 BYTE),

                "FILENAME" VARCHAR2(400 BYTE),

                "MIME_TYPE" VARCHAR2(48 BYTE),

                "UPLOADED_BY" VARCHAR2(100 BYTE),

                "CLOB_CONTENT" "HTS"."XMLTYPE"

   )

In that table I have 1 row.  Clob_content contains an xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>

<microplateDoc xmlns="http://moleculardevices.com/microplateML";>

  <fileVersion>2.0.7</fileVersion>

  <experimentSection sectionName="Experiment#1">

    <plateSection>

      <plateType>PlateType</plateType>

      <plateSectionName>Plate#1</plateSectionName>

      <plateReadTime>  2:10 PM  8/27/2008

</plateReadTime>

      <instrumentInfo>PLUS190PC ROM v1.21 Aug 18 2005</instrumentInfo>

    </plateSection>

  </experimentSection>

</microplateDoc>

I am trying to pull out the plateType value with:

select
extract(clob_content,'/microplateDoc/experimentSection/plateSection/plat
eType/text()')

from hts_xml2;

or

select
extractvalue(clob_content,'/microplateDoc/experimentSection/plateSection
/plateType')

from hts_xml2;

or any other iteration I've been able to think of.

How do I get at that value and if <plateType> occurs more than once in
the file how do I extract all occurrences of that value?

Thanks,

Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
        This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.