Re: hardware configuration Oracle 10gr2: Sun Intel X4450 4 Quad-core processor (2.73 GHz chip, 64 GB memory) VERSUS Sun Netra 1290 8 CPU (1.5 GHz Sparc VII. 64 GB Memory) --> Any performance #s (or comments) that anyone on the list has

  • From: "~Jeff~" <jifjif@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pradeep.Chetal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:40:34 +1200

We did use some t5140's recently for benchmarking and dev, in a nutshell
everything is slower *from the POV of a single process* - having being used
to Sun Fire range performance before that.  In aggregate though the
throughput is good, especially once you have FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS=SETALL ..
this was the one thing that made our benchmark  acceptable, ..before that it
sucked.
Have you seen Glenn Fawcett's blog? http://blogs.sun.com/glennf/
It sounds like you may do well to benchmark your performance requirements on
a t5140 vs m4000 vs x4450 ..  Sun is sure to help you out there.
cheers-
Jeff Wong