RE: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:24:22 -0500

A rough histogram of what I've seen in the past ten years is this:

40% - inefficient SQL that hits the buffer cache ridiculously often for
the same blocks over and over

40% - application 3GL code that parses inside of loops, processes one
row at a time, etc.

5% - slow or too-frequent disk I/O

15% - miscellaneous other (includes configuration errors, enqueue
problems, bbw problems, etc.)

Many instances of the first two problem types listed here are invisible
to system-wide monitoring tools, which, I think, is why we see them so
much.

Cary Millsap

Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

http://www.hotsos.com

Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2007 / March 4-8 / Dallas

Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...