Re: force logging

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:35:29 -0700

Well, don't do anything without testing it first.

Trying to answer your original question: "I want to force logging the Primary Database. Do I need to do that on Standby DBs.". No, as long as the standby remains a standby. Yes, if you plan to switch Data Guard roles.

You can either set it at the time of switchover, or you can re-create your standby control files (will require downtime of the standby). Or, perhaps you can mount the standby database and set it directly in the standby using the ALTER DATABASE command... I haven't tried it, and didn't need to, since my standby was created after already setting FORCE LOGGING in the primary, so the setting was already in the standby control file.

Chirag DBA wrote:

I am also running 9.2.
I am already running the standby DBs. U mean to say do I need to overwrite the
existing control files of the standby databases.
eg.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS

2 'D:\oracle\oradata\stby\control_sb01.ctl'; <-- This is the controlfile location of the standby database.

It is not going to do anything to my standby database?

I mean not failing or archive applying.

Regards - Chirag

-- Mark Bole http://www.bincomputing.com