explain plan and the real execution plan

  • From: "Lei Zeng" <lzeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:25:51 -0800

Hi, all:

I have a question about the explain plan.

Under what conditions, could the plan I get out of 'explain plan' differ
from what I get from running the sql statement?

Suppose the database has no change during I ran 'explain plan' and run
the sql - I mean, no ddl and dml - You would think this database is
static. Or the time gap between I run 'explain plan' and run sql
statement is too narrow to allow any change (ideal environment). No bind
variable peeking because _optim_peek_user_binds is set to FALSE.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Lei