Re: dynamic sql and dates

  • From: "LS Cheng" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chandra.Pabba@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:20:22 +0100

Yea I noticed quotes were missing. Jesus Christ I explicitly used
dbms_output to debug the code and could not get it right! :-P

Thanks all

--
LSC

On 1/25/07, Pabba, Chandra <Chandra.Pabba@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hi Cheng,

I am not sure if I can explain this behavior, but I do have a work
around.  You just need to have a single-tick for l_date in the dynamic sql.

create or replace procedure ins_date
is
   l_date  date := sysdate;
   l_sql   varchar2(1000);
begin
   l_sql :=        'insert into kk ' || chr(10) ||
                    'select *'''|| l_date ||'''* from dual';
   dbms_output.put_line(l_sql);
   dbms_output.put_line(sysdate);
execute immediate l_sql;
end;
/
I think, what is happening here is when you are assigning the sysdate
value to l_date, it is getting assigned the literal value, as you will
notice in your output (select 20070125 17:11:47 from dual ). But when you
use sysdate it is not getting translated into a literal value and it is just
inserting the SYSDATE.  But, one caveat, if you use the above approach, you
will lose the time factor in the date, it will be some thing like 25-01-07
00:00:00.  If you use the SYSDATE, it will have the time component as well
some thing like - 25-01-07 11:52:56.

HTH

Thanks
Chandra Pabba