Re: dbms_stats.gather_schema_

  • From: Paula Winkler <pw41972@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:39:13 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Justin for your response.  As far as I know, OPS is not required to
gather statistics in parallel.  The gather_schema specifications were
recommended by a 3rd party software vendor.  I'm testing gathering histograms
for only indexed columns.  However, because of the number of tables involved it
is taking hours :-(.
 From: Justin Cave (DDBC) <jcave_at_ddbcinc.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:48:01 -0700

Do you need to have Oracle Parallel Server for parallel operations to work in
8.1.7? I seem to recall having no problems with parallel statistics gathering
in 8.1.7, but I had OPS installed.
Do you really need to gather histograms on every column? That seems a bit
excessive and probably is a substantial portion of your running time.
Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC <http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC>

Do you Yahoo!?