Re: dba_extents vs dba_segments

  • From: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:28:10 -0500

Hi everybody:

Thank you for your responses. I will take a look at the documents that you
referred me to.

I was under impression that others have surely stumbled upon this and
therefore decided not to put any examples
into my Email. However, here is what I see:

SQL> select sum(bytes/1024)/1024 from dba_Segments where tablespace_name=
'PCM_D_01';

SUM(BYTES/1024)/1024
--------------------
              696300

SQL> ch /Segments/extents
  1* select sum(bytes/1024)/1024 from dba_extents where tablespace_name=
'PCM_D_01'
SQL> /

SUM(BYTES/1024)/1024
              471100

As you see the difference is quite significant and the only change in my
SQL was going from dba_segments to
dba_extents. The tablespace is a LMTS with uniform extens. The max number
of extents in a single segment is
441.

thank you

Gene Gurevich