Re: "db file async I/O submit" wait event : 11gR2

  • From: Yadavalli Aditya <aditya.yadavalli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:27:15 -0700

Thank Tim/Taral/Frits for your time and responses. I am running huge
dataloads, almost 8G data was loaded in last 1.5Hrs.

Tim,

Here is the info.

OS/platform and version : SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3,
2.6.16.60-0.54.5-smp x86_64
Datafile and logfiles are on OS Filesystem, its type is : xfs
DB Version: 11.2.0.1.0.

 NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
disk_asynch_io                       boolean     TRUE
dbwr_io_slaves                       integer     0
filesystemio_options                 string      none
db_writer_processes                  integer     2

I changed parameter filesystemio_options to async, after that "db file
async I/O submit " wait event disappeared and observed "log file
switch (checkpoint incomplete)" consuming 89% almost as below.

 Top 5 Timed Events
Avg %Total
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                   wait   Call
Event                                            Waits    Time (s)   (ms)   Time
----------------------------------------- ------------ ----------- ------ ------
log file switch (checkpoint incomplete)             15         280  18674   88.6
CPU time                                                        26           8.3

Increased redo logs size to 500M, after that i am seeing free_buffer_waits.

op 5 Timed Events                                                    Avg %Total
Event                                            Waits    Time (s)   (ms)   Time
free buffer waits                                  117         195   1669   84.8
CPU time                                                        30          13.2

Performance has not much improved overall, compared to another 9i
instance which is having less system resources and buffer sizes the
current instance is taking twice the time.  Only the difference is
that top wait event is changing ... still researching the issue..

Cheers/Aditya