Re: database function to get distance between 2 latitude/longitude points

  • From: Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:24:22 -0700 (PDT)

Remember also, that even if the point data is stored as lat/lon instead of an
SDO_GEOMETRY object, you can still create a spatial index on it to leverage the
nearest neighbor/sdo_interact type functions that require a spatial index as a
primary filter for the operation.

That capability is highlighted here in 9.2.1

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14255/sdo_exten.htm#i1005799