RE: database backup using commvault simpana

  • From: "David Barbour" <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <spinto@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:11:10 -0500

Hi Savio,

Been using CommVault for about 6 months now.  It's pretty easy to use and
you can choose between running backups via RMAN from the server command line
or schedule it through the CommCell GUI. I came from a shop using TDP and
much prefer CommVault.  They've put a lot more thought into their Oracle
piece and it allows you to set a lot of your RMAN configuration parameters
in the GUI and it also works with a recovery catalog so you can get your
backups restored via command line even if the software initiated them.  I
actually use a mix of command-line backups, scheduled backups via cron
(we're on Linux) and CommCell scheduled backups.   I've got 7
test/training/development DBs that I'm constantly refreshing and it hasn't
missed a beat yet.  If you have specific questions or concerns, let me know.
Overall, I'd rate this product superior.