Re: data move concept

  • From: chet justice <chet.justice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:35:44 -0400

You don't even need Transparent Gateway, you can just use Heterogenous
Services.  Here's a link on AskTom as well:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:4406709207206#18830681837358

I used it to connect to DB2.

Also, you might look into DBMS_ERRLOG,
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14258/d_errlog.htm#BABGGCDF,
as they will allow you to do set operations without having to worry about
potential errors (datatype conversion?).

It's fairly easy to roll your own PL/SQL solution, just a simple (hah!)
INSERT INTO SELECT * FROM remote_table@db_link;

chet

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

>  Brian,
>
>     Database links have been around for a long time and are reliable and
> dependable for connecting to other Oracle databases.  As for Sql*Server try
> to get your hands on a copy of Oracle's transparent gateway for Sql*Server.
> It's easy top set up and if memory works right not that expensive.  Then
> just write your scripts & your off.
>

> *Dick Goulet***
> Senior Oracle DBA
> PAREXEL International