cross platform migration

  • From: max scalf <oracle.blog3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:54:36 -0600

Hello List,

I have a project that is going to get started soon and i wanted to get some
Pointers with regards to it.  Please excuse my knowledge, as i am from SQL
Server background and a seasonal oracle DBA.  Project is to move our
DB(multiple DB size from 1TB - 30TB) from hp-ux pa risc to RHEL.  We have
quite a few restriction in options as our app is SAP :-( .  Couple of SAP
notes i read suggested that we can use use cross platform transportable
tablespace, which is what i am planning to do as well.  I wanted to find
out couple of things from the list

   1. First of all if anyone has done this(on a SAP system), if so any
   gotcha
   2. To reduce the down time i was planing to do a restore ahead of the
   cut over(lets say 3 days in advance) and then keep applying archive log
   until the day of cut over.  Is that even possible for this situation (as i
   have to do RMAN Convert of the datafiles and then keep applying logs)
   3. i cannot do transportable DATABASE, as i am going from big endianess
   to little( i believe #2 is possible here, as i read this
doc<http://www.pythian.com/blog/howto-oracle-cross-platform-migration-with-minimal-downtime/>
   )
   4. I read an option some place that mentioned i could have heterogeneous
   data guard setup for this migration, but when i read MOS doc ID  413484.1,
   i do not think hp ux to RHEL Data guard is supported or have i gotten that
   wrong.
   5. any other recommendation in general due to the size of our DB.  The
   one i am worried about is our 30TB DB which takes about 18 hours to do
   weekly Level 0 backup and customer wants to do the migration in less than
   10 hours
   6. is cross platform transportable tablespace a bad idea as SAP creates
   thousands and thousands of objects in the database and the metadata would
   be too much to export/import

I would really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks,
Max