cron backups on RAC

  • From: Don Morse <dmorse2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Listserv Oracle <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:41:50 -0700 (PDT)

To list::  I'm configuring rman backups for our first RAC deployment, hopefully
to be live in September. In the past, with single-instance Oracle, I have used
cron to schedule daily backups from the database server. We have always
licensed Tivoli for Oracle from IBM, this gives rman the interface to our
Tivoli tape library. Now that we have a 3-node cluster, I'm trying to decide
how to schedule backups; one of the nodes will be the preferred server, others
will run the rman job only if the others are not available. I have seen
reference to using dbms_scheduler, but this would not work if we wanted to run
an offline backup. I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks!

Don Morse