Re: cpu waits

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nigel_cl_thomas@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:51:37 -0600

Alex,

I think Nigel and Tanel have nailed it (as usual).

A wise person on this list (sorry I can't recall who, probably Jonathan)
once said:
Performance problems occur when Oracle either is using all the CPU cycles or
not using any CPU cycles.

The point is that Oracle sits on a server, and your performance analysis
should always begin by examining what is happening at the server level. You
must interpret the Oracle statistics in light of what is occurring at the
server. Otherwise you'll make bad decisions.

Dennis Williams