Re: average multiblock read size

  • From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kylelf@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 19:06:20 -0500

Kyle,

From the reference, physical read total bytes is "Total size in bytes of
disk reads by all database instance activity including application reads,
backup and recovery, and other utilities. The difference between this value
and "physical read bytes" gives the total read size in bytes by
non-application workload."

So I would assume this includes controlfile and redo reads as they are part
of backup and recovery and other utilities.

Physical Read Bytes is "Total size in bytes of all disk reads by application
activity (and not other instance activity) only". I would interpret this as
pure dbwr and end user SQL IO.

-Gopal