RE: audit "alter package compile"

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ksgupta31@xxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:59:17 -0500

I'm not sure whether there is a way to make audit behave in that way (I'm
supposing it is documented if there is a way, but I'm not going to search
for that right now.)

IF there is no way to have audit track an "alter compile" I would understand
it in that an argument could be made that is a repair, not a change. Or they
might view it as a bug. (And I'm making an argument either way right now.)

Supposing there is no documented way to do it and that it is not considered
a bug or something that should be optioned to work either way AND you don't
have time to wait for such an implementation in any case, THEN perhaps you
could put a trigger on one of the columns that gets changed when the package
is recompiled and write that up so as to log it. If you don't want to write
to the real audit tables (probably a good idea to not directly mess with
them, perhaps unlocking them to unwanted access), then you might create a
different table that you UNION ALL to the real one for your audit reports.

Something like that may be a useful workaround for you if the other things
are true. I also wouldn't lightly slap a trigger on a system column, but if
my suppositions are true this may be the best alternative.

mwf