Re: aio on sun ufs problem

  • From: "zhu chao" <chao_ping@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <k.sriramkumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:53:27 +0800

Hi,
       I agree with you, though I do not find theory support(from official
unix vendor document).
       Test shows only write can use the kaio os call. Read cannot. And in
most case, only dbwr/lgwr does the write, server process don't do
write(unless doing create table/index etc, which does not happen often in
production environment). So, the cost of thread management using light
weight process to simulate true aio , only exist for the dbwr/lgwr process.
And in most case ( I just guess), these two process just use a small percent
of the total CPU. So, even these two process does not CPU at all, we cannot
expect much CPU usage reduction.
        I get the result from my last week's tuning effort. We migrated our
database on vxfs without qio to raw volume, hoping to see some CPU usage
reduction and IO wait drop. But things did not happen.  Just no difference
from unix at all. (we already put the redo/undo on raw volume before the
migration).
      Using raw io, there is no so- called "Double Buffering" cost. And
single file write lock contention. But in real life active OLTP production
database, we see no performance difference.

Regards
Zhu Chao.