Re: Will failover work when switch off the box/power outage?

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:08:44 +0200

Hi Jay,

Can you clarify your question? What failover do you mean? Data Guard? Transparent( Better: transclucent (Pete Sharman)) Application Failover,. TAF? Some automagic failover whenever you switch off a box?

You can pull the network cord from the NIC on the standby. That will give the standby the perfect idea of a power outage on the primary.

Regards, Carel-Jan

At 10:01 PM 3/2/2004, you wrote:

Dear All,

We tested oracle failover functionality with "shutdown abort" but we cannot switch off the server because few other applications are running on the same box (Test Env).

Could some one clarify this?

Thanks
Jay

=== If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

DBA!ert, Independent Oracle Consultancy
Kastanjelaan 61C
2743 BX  Waddinxveen
The Netherlands