RE: Why won't OEM send alerts

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>, "rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:31:36 -0700

I actually opened an SR with Oracle to ask this very question a few months ago:

"ARE EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS ALLOWED WITHOUT A DIAGNOSTICS PACK LICENSE?"

And the answer was - (drum roll please) . . . . .

"You need to consult the Sales people for the licensing."

You can probably imagine how far my eyes rolled back in my head when I read
this.

I still haven't received a straight answer.  But, I think that emails do
require a license because if you disable the Diagnostics Pack in OEM under
Setup > Management Pack Access, you will see that you no longer have access to
the Notification Methods link, so you can't configure an smtp server to send
your emails.  You could get around this by configuring it at creation time by
specifying the -MAIL_SERVER_NAME flag with emca, but I don't think that's a
reliable indicator that a license isn't required. Here is what the docs say on
the matter:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/options.htm#CIHHIGBI:
The Diagnostic Pack includes the following features:
Event notifications: notification methods, rules, and schedules

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b40010/database_management.htm#sthref11:
Table 2-1 Features of Diagnostics Pack for Oracle Database
Advanced alert management - Include notification methods, rules, and schedules,
metric history and associated drill-downs, ability to set blackouts, associate
corrective actions with an alert, user-defined metrics, metric snapshots,
monitoring templates, adaptive metric thresholds, setting metric baselines, and
Memory Access Mode.

Glossary:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b31949/glossary.htm#sthref1216:
Notification Methods - Mechanism for defining different mechanisms for sending
notifications. These include e-mail, SNMP traps, or running custom scripts-or
all three. Once defined, these methods can then be used with Notification Rules
for sending notifications to administrators as a result of alert occurrences.

Metalink 552788.1 also addresses the issue, but still doesn't differentiate
between emails and other "Notification Methods", so I think that probably means
email is considered a "Notification Method", as mentioned in the glossary, and
therefore requires the Diagnostics Pack.

Has anyone else spoken gotten a different answer from Oracle Support or Sales?

Regards,
Brandon