Why should we assume LD_ASSUME_KERNEL during oracle product installation?

  • From: Anand <shastry17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, achutha.shivashankar@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 15:08:35 +0530

Hello all,
Why should we assume LD_ASSUME_KERNEL with some value during oracle
installation. Is that because the kernel versions are different for
different operating system's and oracle works on specific Kernel
version to enable glibc optimizations or are there any core reasons
for this?. Please let me know on this.
Also RHAS4 has 2.6 kernel, maybe that's the reason why the
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL issue has disappeared.
The 10.2.0.1's oraenv script does still have LD_LIBRARY_PATH in it.
Please give me your sugesstions.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Anand