What is Generating All these Connection Attempts to a Database That No Longer Exists?

  • From: "Sam Bootsma" <sbootsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:54:05 -0500

07-FEB-2007 10:31:36 *
(CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=))(SERVICE_NAME=HAR521
)) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=a.b.c.d)(PORT=pppp)) * establish *
HAR521 * 12514

TNS-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in
connect descriptor

We receive the above message in our listener.log file every 4 to 5
minutes.  HAR521 used to be a database, but not now.  HAR521 does not
exist in the /etc/oratab file, and there is no entry for HAR521 in our
tnsnames.ora file.  The port number (pppp) is different for every entry
in the listener.log file (although it may repeat eventually, I haven't
checked).  The host a.b.c.d is always the same and is the IP address of
our database server .... the database server that used to have a service
named HAR521 (but no longer does).

Can anybody tell me what might be generating these entries in our
listener.log file and how I can get it to stop generating these
connection attempts?

Thanks very much.  We are running Oracle 10.2.0.2 on AIX 5.3.

Sam Bootsma

Oracle Database Administrator

Information Technology Services
George Brown College