What characterizes sessionid=0?

  • From: Christoph <cruepprich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:11:10 -0500

We have a need to characterize work performed in an Oracle database
(specifically, E-Business Suite installations)
for sessions that use SESSIONID = 0, where that session ID is acquired by
the following:

SELECT SYS_CONTEXT ('USERENV', 'SESSIONID') FROM DUAL;

To further explain: this SESSIONID value is joined to V$SESSION.AUDSID for
the retrieval of information related
to the current session such as MODULE, ACTION, CLIENT_INFO, and the like.

We acquire this information during the execution of a Database-level BEFORE
LOGOFF trigger and we use details
related to the sessions logging off to characterize the work that was
performed during each session.

We seem to have noted Oracle uses this AUDSID = 0 for internal
(maintenance?) activity, but we're not sure.

Is anyone aware of documentation that classifies which user(s) use SESSIONID
= 0 and for what purposes?

Thanks,
Christoph