RE: What are the implications of having several instances on a server sharing the oracle home?

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:59:53 -0500

Maybe not "clueless", but probably unfounded.  Don't forget that there's a lot
more than just binaries in an OFA $ORACLE_HOME.  For example, the optional
Listener log ($ORACLE_HOME/network/log/listener.log) and Oracle message files
($ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/mesg/oraus.msg).  One's write, the other read and every
connection causes activity in both in our environment, AFAICT.
Does this require multiple ORACLE_HOMEs for us?  Nah.  From a quick peek, we're
hitting about 100KB/s cached reads (peaks at 500KB/s) and <1KB/s on writes on
our $ORACLE_HOME mount point.  But it could for some, depending on the load and
system setup.

My $.02,
Rich