RE: Was (RAC ASM) is ASM + NAS

  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:18:09 -0700

>>>With regards to the performance, I see where you're heading
>>>(aka why not use a commodity cluster filesystem-driven
>>>solution where you can scale in individual "data mover"
>>>elements).

...well, it wasn't such a shameless plug for scalable NAS.
I'm a bit surprised that the best the clustered NAS guys
can come up with is CNS (clustered name space) solutions
which is not scalable NAS at all. Hmmm...

>>>backend).  What I like about Netapp is the universal-ness of
>>>the product (for lack of a better/real word).  So - not just
>>>NFS, but CIFS, Fibre Channel, iSCSI all in the same
>>>platform.  I can upgrade the product by ugprading the head
>>>or controllers.  The FlexVol architecture is a dream in
>>>terms of managing complex environments, and the read-write
>>>snapshots in FlexClone can be used for a whole slew of
>>>different pieces of functionality.

...very compelling, thought-filled and non-religious. Nice!
Please don't go talking to our Oil and Gas customers... :-)