Re: Veritas Netbackup users

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fred_fred_1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:53:56 -0700

On 8/3/06, Fred Smith <fred_fred_1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you backup <1 database on the master server and <1 databases on a client server, how do you configure it? Do you run a separate policy for each server OR a separate policy for each database? (Or do you combine the jobs into 1 policy?)

How you configure will likely be affected by your environment:

* number of servers
* number of databases per server

I'm going to assume that you use RMAN.

We use RMAN for all but 2 databases. Those are 7.3 databases that will
soon be upgraded to 10g.

We have an RMAN repository, but I am phasing it out.  I haven't seen there's
all that much benefit to having one.

Not that this bit matters all that much as far as configuration goes, but
that's
how we are setup.

As far as policies for databases (Oracle specifically, we also have SQL
Server)
a database may be several different policies.

Say for example you have a server s1 with three databases on it: d1, d2 and
d3.

All databases are in archive log mode.

General methods:

Archive logs are backed up once per day and left on disk.

Production databases are backed up once per day (night time), and archive
logs are backed up and deleted.  This puts some/most archive logs
on tape twice.  I haven't found a way (built in anyway) with RMAN
to ensure that a archive log is put on tape twice before being deleted.
(Ideas on this one?)

Development and low-activity databases may be backed up only
once a week.

Occasionally a database is generating a lot more redo than normal,
and a job must be run to backup the arch logs and delete them
immediately.

Some db's are subject to SarbOx standards, and must be backed up
quarterly with a near infinite retention time.

Database d1 and d2 are not subject to SarbOx.

Database d3 is subject to SarbOx.

Policies:

Polocies are named for server, database, and method.
Method and database are optional components, but at
least one of them must be used.

ORA_s1_weekly
  d1 and d2 full database backup
  retention time is 2 weeks
  This backup is scheduled

ORA_s1_archive
  d1, d2 and d3 archive logs backed up and left on disk
  retention time is 2 weeks
  This backup is scheduled

ORA_s1_arch_delete
  d1, d2 and d3 archive logs backed up and removed from disk
  retention time is 2 weeks
  This backup is not scheduled  - must be run manually

  There may also be indiviual policies per database.
  eg.  ORA_s1_d1_arch_delete, ORA_s1_d2_arch_delete, ...

ORA_s1_weekly
 d1 and d2 databases are backed up weekly.
 archive logs are backed up and removed
 retention time is 2 weeks.
 This backup is scheduled.

ORA_s1_d3
 d3 database is backed up
 archive logs are backed up and removed
 retention time is 2 weeks.
 This backup is scheduled.

ORA_s1_d3_quarterly
 d3 database is backed up
 archive logs are backed up and removed
 retention time is a long time (7 years IIRC)
 This backup is scheduled.

HTH

-- Jared Still Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist