Unusual observations wrt PSU apply

  • From: Purav Chovatia <puravc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:30:53 +0530

Hi,
This is 2 node 11gR2 RAC PSU2 (112022) on Solaris10 x86-64.

Was possibly hitting a bug because of which the stack was not coming up on
node2 (this would happen only when the stack was up on node1 but it would
come up otherwise) and hence wanted to apply PSU3 and then a one-off.

Applied PSU3 to node1 (GI & DB homes) successfully in one go with *opatch
auto*.
Tried to apply PSU3 to node2 and it failed with the below msg because
clusterware was down on node2:
*Clusterware is either  not running or not configured. You have the
following 2 options*
*1. Configure and Start the Clusterware on this node and re-run the tool*
*2. or Run the tool with the -och <CRS_HOME_PATH> option and then invoke
 tool with -oh <comma seperated ORACLE_HOME_LIST> to patch the RDBMS home*

So tried with *opatch auto -och $GI_HOME* and it successfully patched the
GI_HOME. Then when I tried to patch the DB_HOME it kept giving the above
message. So that is the 1st query - why did DB patching not succeed as per
point 2 of the message above? Has anybody experienced this before?

Since it did not succeed, I decided to rollback the patch that was applied
to GI on node2 and then stop the stack on node1, so that it would allow me
to bring up the stack on node2. And then I would apply the PSU to both
homes on node2 in one go.

So rolled back PSU3 from GI_HOME on node2. When I verified using *opatch
lsinventory*, surprisingly it said "There are no Interim patches installed
in this Oracle Home." for the GI_HOME i.e. it did not list even PSU2. So
that is the 2nd question - does rollback of PSU3, rollback all previous
PSUs? btw, DB_HOME on node2 continued to show at PSU2.

Anyways went  ahead stopping stack on node1 and brought up stack on node2.
At that time a thought came to my mind - GI_HOME on node2 is at 112020 and
DB_HOME is at 112022 and GI_HOME should be at same or higher version - so
will the stack come up - but it did come up. So that is 3rd question.

Thanks