Unplug problem

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 21:17:38 -0400

I was asked to refresh one of the development PDB tenants from the corresponding production PDB. The platform is Linux x86_64 (OL 7.7) with Oracle 19.10 (Jan 2021 RU).  Unfortunately, due to security measures, the only open port between the production server and the development server is 22. That eliminates remote clone. The tenant size in production is around 1TB. I opted for unplug pluggable database into '/tmp/tenant.pdb'.  That took almost 2 hours with very fast disk storage (Pure array) and a powerful CPU. It was single threaded. Is there any way I can use multiple threads? The .pdb archive is compressed and my bottleneck was it being run on a single CPU. Is there any trick to do that with RMAN? The production has 144 cores and I could easily afford running 12 threads at a time. Unfortunately, I can't restore pluggable database into another CDB using rman. This was like pulling teeth. I couldn't get  SQL*Net port (it isn't 1521) open so I had to unplug. Fortunately, I knew what was I in for so I first did unplug to XML, dropped the pluggable database with "keep datafiles" and plugged it back in using XML. The whole thing is extremely awkward. The funny thing was that "CREATE PLUGGABLE DATABASE TESTDB3 USING '/tmp/tenant.pdb'" used 2 cores.  It was 4 times as fast as creating the PDB archive. Oracle's multi-tenant leaves a lot to be improved. I hope that Oracle 21 might address some of these issues.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant