Re: Universal database interface?

  • From: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu.popescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:26:10 +0300

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On 04/12/2005 08:11:41 PM, Jared Still wrote:
>

>>----
>>"Many developers are happy to trade runtime performance for cross-platfor=
>
> m=20
>
>>portability."
>>=20
>>Maybe the developers are happy, because performance is the DBA's problem,=
>
> =20
>
>>right?
>>----

I'm a developer, systems architect and small-time DBA (yes, we're small shop).
The "duhvelopers" thing is a bit extreme I think, but a good joke nevertheless.
Not all Java programmers are like that, but I do agree that apparently a large
part of them were born straight into a Java/EJB/ORM world, which would not be
entirely bad if only they had more than marginal interest in adjacent
technologies like the database and OS-related things such as networking, ipc,
memory, low[er]-level code and friends.
Them people live in a buzzworld (tm).
OK I guess what I'm saying is that while there's a large chunk of programmers
that - save Java and an array of tools to hold their hand - can't tell their
ass
from a hole in the ground using both hands and a flash light there is a
significant percentage of developers that do know their stuff and have
experience from assembly to Java and from ATL to XA. I'm one of them ;-)

So if you're developers are duvhelopers then you must be hanging out with the
wrong crowd!

--
Radu-Adrian Popescu
CSA, DBA, Developer