/*+ ULE*/ ???

  • From: Robert Eskridge <bryny@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:40:46 -0500

Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris 9.

A developer brought me a pl/sql procudure that had a select /*+RULE*/
hint in it. It was performing poorly (to the point of blowing out temp
space with an ORA-01652 error. When we looked at sql running in
v$sqltext, we saw that the hint had changed to /*+ ULE*/.

Cutting the select out and and running it in either TOAD or SQL*Plus
and performed well.  But in the procedure we messed around with it
and kept getting the ULE (and the resulting full table scans) until we
looked at the docs and put spaces everyhere ( /*+ RULE */ ).  Is this
well known behavior?  I'm wondering if I should scan all our
procedures for this syntax....

-rje